Imagine Monroe Visioning Project
What is the Imagine Monroe Visioning Project?
The Imagine Monroe Visioning Project is a citywide, collaborative, community driven project to update the City’s vision, mission, and core values statements. The goal is to adopt new vision, mission and core values statements to guide the city’s long-range strategic plans.
While the City’s current Vision Statement is included in its 20-year Comprehensive Plan, it doesn’t provide guidance on how the city should invest for the future. Specific visioning goals may serve as a framework for a future strategic planning process. This visioning process will also include a method for updating, maintaining and evaluating the vision and the City’s strategic plan.
The Imagine Monroe Visioning Project is designed to engage staff, stakeholders and the Monroe community of residents and business owners. Participating community members will have the opportunity to give feedback in a variety of settings, including in-person, online, one-on-one, and group discussions.
The desired outcome is a vision statement of our future for our community, from our community.
To stay up-to-date on the Imagine Monroe Visioning Project, sign up for the Project mailing list at the bottom of this page.
Why update Monroe’s Vision, Mission and Core Values now?
Over the past several years, Monroe has experienced increasing growth with new local businesses opening and more people moving into the area. Additionally, the COVID-19 pandemic has presented Monroe with new challenges that are not yet fully understood.
To better understand current community priorities and needs, the City is completing a citywide visioning process that will culminate in the development of a mission statement, vision statement, and core values.
These documents will form the foundation for policymaking, budgeting, land and infrastructure planning, and programing for the next thirty years.
What is the Goal of the Imagine Monroe Visioning Project?
The City envisions the Imagine Monroe Visioning Project will:
- Help the City of Monroe articulate what it wants to be in the future, and how the City can position itself to achieve its future potential while still retaining its unique qualities.
- Encourage engagement and spark the interest and excitement of residents, business owners, partners, visitors, City leaders, and staff in the future potential of the City.
- Generate new ideas and discussion about the built environment, sustainability, sense of place, and the City’s overall identity.
- Facilitate the revision of the Community Vision, Core Values, and Mission.
- Foster a sense of cohesion around the City's strategic direction.
- Transform the conceptual goals of the visioning process into realistic, achievable targets.
- Support periodic review and adjustment to reflect progress towards goals.
Who will lead this work?
Mayor Geoffrey Thomas and City staff are leading this work with the support of the City Council and Enviroissues, a Seattle based public involvement firm. EnviroIssues brings comprehensive engagement expertise and a research-driven team who will help the City of Monroe and the Monroe community revise its Community Vision, Core Values, and Mission.
Imagine Monroe Sounding Board
To ensure this process equitably reflects all voices in Monroe, the City has convened an Imagine Monroe Sounding Board, comprised of representatives with a variety of lived experiences. Sounding Board members will work together to identify community priorities and needs, and recommend a revised mission statement, vision statement and core values to Mayor Geoffrey Thomas and the City Council.
The main purpose of the Sounding Board is to:
- Provide input into the outreach and communications plan for the City’s visioning project.
- Reflect the interests and needs of Monroe’s diverse community networks to ensure broad participation in the process to update the City’s vision statement and core values.
- Review findings from the visioning process and recommend a draft mission statement, vision statement and core values before these documents are finalized by Mayor Thomas and the City Council.
How long will it take to finish?
The timeline to revise the community vision, core values, and mission is broken into four phases: assessment, planning, engagement, and evaluation. The work will begin in December 2020 and is scheduled to finish in June 2021.
The Sounding Board will meet several times throughout the process to guide the communications plan, connect with the community, review community input, and recommend draft vision, mission, and core values statements to Mayor Thomas and the City council.
How can I get involved?
The Imagine Monroe project is designed to engage staff, stakeholders and the Monroe community of residents and business owners. Participating community members will have the opportunity to give feedback in a variety of settings, including in-person, online, one-on-one, and group discussions.
Since large gatherings may be restricted, input opportunities may be limited to web surveys and virtual meetings.
Future opportunities to be involved will be announced in Monroe This Week, the Mayor’s Weekly Newsletter (sign-up here to receive via email), and posted on the City’s website and the City’s Facebook page.