What if I am unable to pay my monthly, quarterly or annual return?

The Department of Revenue is asking all businesses to still file their returns if they are able to do so. Upon request, the Department will provide extensions for paying tax returns (even if the request is after the due date). 

This only applies to returns that are due and not already paid during the state of emergency (Feb. 29, 2020, through the end of the state of emergency, yet to be determined).

  • 60 days for monthly returns (this applies to the February 2020 and March 2020 returns at this time)
  • 30 days for the Q1/2020 return
  • 30 days for the Annual 2019 return

For more information: https://dor.wa.gov/about/business-relief-during-covid-19-pandemic 

Show All Answers

1. What is an "Essential Business?"
2. Does the moratorium on evictions apply to businesses?
3. What if I am unable to pay my monthly, quarterly or annual return?
4. Will my water be shut off?
5. What about utilities?
6. Is there someone I can talk to at the City?
7. Is the City still issuing permits?
8. What if I need to, or have been, working with the Department on a collection related issue?
9. What if I have a payment plan with the DOR?
10. What should I do if I have a temporary business registration?
11. What happens if I am late renewing my business license during this time period?
12. What if I have questions about paying my property taxes?
13. How do I request relief?
14. What can I do to prevent COVID-19 in my workplace for those who can’t telework?
15. Is garbage service mandatory while my business is closed?