DEVELOPMENT CODE RENOVATION
DRAFT UNIFIED DEVELOPMENT REGULATIONS
The City of Monroe is in the process of renovating its development code. This renovation would replace the existing development code, which is currently located in Titles 17, 18, 19, 20, and 21 of the Monroe Municipal Code (MMC), with one unified, user-friendly set of rules. The purpose of the development code renovation is to simplify its content, streamline the City’s permitting process, and increase flexibility.
How does this affect me?
You may never notice most of the potential changes to the development code. However, other modifications could impact Monroe in visible ways. The following topics may be of interest to many residents:
- Changes to residential density, which is the number of lots and/or housing units allowed for each acre
- Ways to protect and preserve the existing tree canopy
- Design standards to provide aesthetic consistency for building exteriors throughout various parts of the city
- Deciding which types of land uses are permitted to locate where
- Landscaping standards for new and existing developments
- Subdivision and Planned Residential Development (PRD) requirements
- Standards for walls and fences
How can I help?
The City of Monroe wants YOU to get involved! There will be many opportunities to participate by speaking and offering input, including:
- Attending Planning Commission meetings regularly. These are scheduled for the second and fourth Mondays of each month. The meetings begin at 7:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers in City Hall at 806 West Main Street, Monroe, WA 98272.
- Asking to be put on the mailing list to receive updates. To request to be on the mailing list, please email Shana Restall, Senior Planner.