Department News and Capital Projects
Browse through our monthly department newsletters for Parks and Recreation news and information.
Parks, Recreation and Open Space (PROS) Plan
Since 1975, the City of Monroe has engaged in park planning. Every six years, the PROS Plan is updated as a requirement of the State Growth Management Act (GMA) and to be eligible to apply for and receive state and federal grant funding. The PROS Plan is scheduled to be next updated in 2020. The update process will include a careful examination of community recreational needs. Input from local residents, businesses and organizations will be collected through surveys and meetings to generate goals and policy actions for the updated PROS Plan. Check here for news and updates.
Highway 2 Bypass Temporary Trail Study
Western Washington University students participating in Sustainable Communities Program concluded the program’s coursework with a presentation to City of Monroe’s Park Board February 20, 2020. The student’s studied the City’s proposed temporary trail within the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) US 2 Bypass right-of-way, between Chain Lake Road to the east and eastern edge of Snohomish County Fairgrounds. The Program provided an opportunity for students to use the Trail project to gain experience working on an actual project with real-world conditions and clients. The three reports will assist City staff in developing a conceptual site plan to be used in future discussions with WSDOT.
- ENVS 475 Community Development and Participatory Methods, taught by Dr. Tammi Laninga (PDF)
- ENVS 373 Transportation Systems Analysis, taught by Dr. Paul Stangl (PDF)
- ENVS 493 Environmental Impact Assessment, taught by Dr. Tammi Laninga (PDF)
Lake Tye Park and Cadman Master Plans
During 2018 the City of Monroe created two long‐range master plans for Lake Tye Park and the Cadman Site. The plans were based on an extensive public involvement process, and would help define the future of these parks. We would like to thank the community for their active participation in this process.
- Community Survey Results (PDF)
- Pop-Up Studio Display Boards (PDF)
- Pop-Up Studio Event Photos
- Preliminary Plan Features and Programming Concepts (PDF)
- Vision & Ideas – Cadman Site and Lake Tye (PDF)
- Concept Alternatives – Cadman Site and Lake Tye (PDF)
- Pop-Up Comment Summary & Plans (PDF)
- Preliminary Concepts Presentation to City Council & Park Board - September 26 (PDF)
- Preliminary Concepts Presentation to City Council & Park Board - October 24 (PDF)
- Lake Tye Park and Cadman Master Plans FINAL (PDF)