What should I do if I have a temporary business registration?

Businesses with a temporary registration that have had their event cancelled should notify the Department by replying to the original email they received when obtaining their temporary certificate.  If you no longer have the original email, you may send a message to communications@dor.wa.gov to cancel your temporary registration.  

For more information: https://dor.wa.gov/about/business-relief-during-covid-19-pandemic 

Show All Answers

1. What is an "Essential Business?"
2. Does the moratorium on evictions apply to businesses?
3. What if I am unable to pay my monthly, quarterly or annual return?
4. Will my water be shut off?
5. What about utilities?
6. Is there someone I can talk to at the City?
7. Is the City still issuing permits?
8. What if I need to, or have been, working with the Department on a collection related issue?
9. What if I have a payment plan with the DOR?
10. What should I do if I have a temporary business registration?
11. What happens if I am late renewing my business license during this time period?
12. What if I have questions about paying my property taxes?
13. How do I request relief?
14. What can I do to prevent COVID-19 in my workplace for those who can’t telework?
15. Is garbage service mandatory while my business is closed?